Monday, April 30, 2012

Unplugged For Just One Day

Life is really simple,
but we insist on making it complicated. 
CONFUCIUS

Unplugged
Disconnected for 24 hours.

How did it go...? 
What was it like...?
What did you do...? 
Did you give in...?
***
I assume these would be the questions anyone would ask.
We are all attached to one gadget or another... 
Computer, cell phone, laptop, video camera, etc.
***
Don't get me wrong... 
I love social media and more importantly it allows me to connect with like-minded people.
Also, having the internet is a wonderful tool.
At any given moment, you can type in a topic, and there you have it...
right at your finger tips!
***
That is it... having everything at your finger tips!!
Something to reflect upon and I did just that.
Saturday, April 28th.
Refreshing
Relaxing
Regrouping
***
There are no pictures to share.
 Just a story to tell you... about my day.

Friday night, I turned off my phone when I went to bed.
The following morning...
I enjoyed my coffee, sitting outside, on the front porch.
(The weather was wonderful)
This was a very relaxing way for me to start my day!! 
***
The thought of checking my phone for text messages, who called, 
getting on the Internet, Facebook or what was in my inbox...
were of no concern to me this day.
To tell you the truth, this can be very time consuming.
 I have watched hours slip away from me in the past, while being on the computer! 
I have spent countless hours...
 deleting spam, junk mail, 
and
going through my phone to clear up space.
Not to mention, all those random photos I take, 
that now need to be uploaded, cleaned up, and formatted. (sigh) 
***
Taking a deep breath...
I got to start the day off slow.
Think.
Enjoy.
Just be in the moment.
***
What did I do with all this time...?
Cleared out two closets.
Cleaned up in my studio. 
Complete several art projects, that were over due. 
Planted a vegetable garden.
Took a relaxing bath.
Ended the evening... with family, wine, and a wonderful dinner. 
***

Did I give in...?
NO.
Was it a struggle...? Did I want to get on the computer..?
Turn on my phone, check to see who called or text messaged me...?
NO.
This was the best thing ever! 
I need more of these days to come... 
Thank you for stopping by today.

Have a wonderful Monday!
























5 comments:

  1. Well done on sticking with your unplugged day! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome, i want to do it! i loved how you wrote out what your day looked like without phone/tv/computer. it sounded like the perfect day. great job. thanks for the inspiration to hopefully try this myself someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for Sharing April :) What a wonderful experience. I'll attempt to do the same! soonish....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I did pretty good but I did do a couple of things. I think it would be great to make this a weekly occurrence. One day a week when I don't do anything on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, this is wonderful April. I SO get it. I think this says a lot about you as a person.
    I'm always amazed at how much i accomplish when i 'disconnect' now and then.
    Thank you for reminding us all of life's essentials... xoxo

    ReplyDelete