cook- 1 hour
- 1 pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water (remove a tablespoon worth to compensate the vanilla)
- 1 tablespoon "real" vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- "dash" of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup "packed" brown sugar
- 8 Granny Smith apples- peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/4 cup milk - brush on top
- white sugar - sprinkle on top crust
Preheat over 425 degrees.
Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste.
Add water, white/brown sugar, and bring to a boil; reduce temperature adding vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg and let simmer 2-4 mins.
Mix syrup with the apples, pour into bottom pie crust.
Cover with top crust: apply 3 slits on top.
Brush on milk and add sprinkled white sugar.
Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees; reduce the temperature to 350 degrees continue baking for 35 - 45 mins. until apples are soft.
a little taste from the island
Post a Comment