Monday, August 6, 2012

Q. and A.

 CARDBOARD 
My take, as an artist, on this pleated paper called...
corrugated board

** Q. and A. **


What do you use it for?
This board makes a great foundation for layering a variety of mediums. 
  

I also like the texture it presences. This always inspires me!



What size is your cardboard and where do you get it? 
Any size.
The wonderful thing about this material is, you can manipulate it to fit any project. 


Recycle. Reuse. Any box will do.


Why do you, as an artist, like creating on this material?
 It Is Free!
Who doesn't like creating beautiful pieces of work, with free materials ? 
This really allows a sense of freedom, a liberation if you will...
I do not feel that pressure of:
"I can not mess this one up, I paid a fortune for this canvas!"
I can relax and simply create.
Allowing the presence of inspiration to overcome me, is all part of the process.

Giving Back
I feel a real sense that I am giving back, instead of taking away.
Utilizing the resources that are already there... 
draws me towards the effect of being in the moment.


What happens during this process?
You simply make art.





Here is the completed piece I was working on last week. 
The artwork is suspended in a canvas frame, 
which was abandoned and left on the side of the road. 

** completed **


My lasting thoughts...
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would 
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say "I used everything you gave me."
ERMA BOMBECK 













  

17 comments:

  1. Your art looks wonderful in your rescued frame. Bravo! Deb(a fellow corrugated cardboard fan).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deborah
      Thank you! :]
      Enjoy your visit... how wonderful to know, fellow "cardboard junkie" ~xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely work. Cardboard is my fave material, and I use lots of it! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Valerie
      Thank you, glad you like this piece of work! :]
      Yes, you are!! I've seen what you can create your blog, fantastic artwork. ~xx

      Delete
  3. oooh I love her! Oh no I can see me hoarding all my cardboard now April!! Think I'll need a shed! I loooooooooooove that quote..how gorgeous x Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :]
      Thank you for your encouragement! ~xx
      Yes, create with cardboard. LOL
      It can be addictive...

      Delete
  4. Excellent post, April. Like you, I try to re-purpose as many items as I can in my artwork. And I love the Erma Bombeck quote. I aspire to the same! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :]
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts, inspiration, and the encouragement!! ~xx
      Enjoy your visit...

      Delete
  5. A fabulous painting, April - I love her face. I too love the texture. I really like the colours you have used too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jackie
      Thank you! :]
      Love the encouragement, always. ~xx
      Enjoy your visit and creating with cardboard... hip, hip, hooray!!

      Delete
  6. I've been collecting all different weights of cardboard thinking of making my own art journal. After becoming your follower though I see lots more options. One of my favorite techniques of yours is how you expose the cardboard ridges - and you didn't answer how you did that. Do you just soak the cardboard and pull at it or do you have a simpler way? Inquiring minds want to know! :) Your newest lady is lovely and looks just smashing in her upcycled frame! Your collab art is on its way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terrie
      Thank you for the excitement, encouraging words, and your interest in my work... I use a razor blade to pull back and expose the pelted areas.
      Hope that was helpful? :]
      Great... can not wait to play, thank you for the invite! ~xx

      Delete
  7. I used the corrugated portion as a "stamp" before but never as a substrate. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda
      Yes, I have see that technique, often... just have not tried it out myself. :]
      Enjoy your visit, love your company. ~xx

      Delete
  8. Hello Jeanie
    Awww... that is sweet! Thank you. :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that Erma Bombeck quotation. I also really like how you installed the piece within the frame.

    ReplyDelete